Saturday 13 April 2013

Sunny Singapore! and my less than promising breeding prospects...

Hey!
 I'm in Singapore and it is lovely! Its warm and clean and green! And the food!! Oh my the food!! I need to stop thinking about it before I start to salivate all over my keyboard but just know that Hor Fun is well worth the embarrassment I feel on pronouncing it!
So anyways today I went across the border to Malaysia. Circumstances prohibited me from doing any real exploring but I did enjoy a leisurely afternoon by the pool, which was nice. When I had reached my chlorine tolerance limit I decided I might as well try to get something productive done and whiled away a few hours reading 'Current Issues in Teleology'. I was pleasantly surprised by how engaging and relevant to my study area some of the essays were, especially those which touched upon Darwinism, however this feeling of cheeriness has now dissipated substantially as I am currently feeling the full effects of my having been so absorbed in my reading. Whilst a good book may allow one to shut out the world from ones thoughts it certainly does not enable the body to be so effectively insulated and I have developed a sore awareness of just how ill prepared my pasty body was for the persistent rays of the midday Malaysian sun... ouch :(
The mildly ironic result of today is that, in turning my attention  natural selection, I have turned myself into one of the most unattractive creatures that has ever had the nerve to present itself. I am currently an exemplar case of a creature which is in no way effectively adapted to its environment and the chances of anybody seeing reproductive potential in my red and wincing form is hanging somewhere around the zero mark.
I hope that your day leaves you substantially less singed!
L
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment